If History's Your Thing, You're in the Right Place
The Erie Canal opened nearly 200 years ago. That's a lot of history right here in Buffalo!
Learn more about Buffalo's unique history as you kayak the waterfront or join a walking tour with our knowledgeable history guides. Experience the ruins from the dawn of the Erie Canal, the silos that carried the city of Buffalo through the middle of the century and the developments that continue to evolve this land today.
The waterfront offers:
- Walking tours of different lengths or topics of interest
- Canalside Longshed building where a replica Canal Boat is being built
- A double-decker bus tour around the waterfront, as well as other significant spots in Buffalo
- Kayak tours along the Buffalo River and Outer Harbor
- Buffalo Bike Tours history and renaissance guided rides
- Cruises to learn about the history of the area from the water
New this summer! Young Audiences of Western New York will host programming and an art installation in the Immediate Care Summer Pavilion teaching about the local history to the Underground Railroad through story-quilting. Learn more about this program here!
You can also visit the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park, located next to Canalside!