The wood-frame building is initially being used by staff and volunteers from the Buffalo Maritime Center to construct a replica of the 1825 Erie Canal Boat, the Seneca Chief, which transported Governor DeWitt Clinton from Buffalo to New York City to mark the official opening of the Erie Canal. The Erie Canal Boat Project is expected to take about three years to complete. During that time, the public will be able to watch the boat being built and even volunteer to join the construction crew!

Public Hours of Operation: April 1st through May 1st

  • Tuesdays: 1:00PM - 7:00PM
  • Wednesdays: 1:00PM - 5:00PM
  • Thursdays: 11:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Fridays: 11:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Saturdays: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
  • Sundays: 11:00AM – 5:00PM

Public Hours of Operation: After May 1st

  • Tuesdays: 11:00AM - 7:00PM
  • Wednesdays: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
  • Thursdays: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
  • Saturdays: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
  • Sundays: 11:00PM - 5:00PM

The "Longshed" at Canalside's Central Wharf Presented by MP Caroll Hardwood is a two-story, gabled-roof wood structure reflecting the Central Wharf site's history by incorporating elements from the Joy and Webster Storehouse located on the site in the early 1800s. The approximately 4,400-square-foot Longshed Presented by MP Caroll Hardwood includes a main floor that stretches the length of the building, a smaller mezzanine level, public bathrooms, roll-up entry doors, and an exterior porch that overlooks the Canalside Great Lawn.

For more information about the Erie Canal Boat Project, visit

For more information about MP Caroll Hardwood visit:

Mp Carrol Hardwood Logo


  • Restrooms